About the School of Government
The National School of Government replaces the Public Administration Leadership and Management Academy (PALAMA). The purpose of the School is to build effective and professional public service cadres through the provision of relevant, mandatory training programmes. This decision emanates from the decision to professionalise public servants to create a public service that will realise the Nation development objectives and Vision 2030.
The functions of the National School of Government are to direct training, education and development opportunities to professionalise the public service, in support of sustainable growth, development and service delivery. The institution supports the achievement of national developmental objectives; contribute towards the development of the public service cadre; will become an intellectual hub of government.
Why The National School of Government?
The National School of Government (NSG) is preceded by the South African Management Development Institute (SAMDI) formed in 1996and Public Administration Leadership and Management Academy (PALAMA) formed in 2008. The two were established to provide a focused strategy to build capacity across the public service. Despite the substantial contribution these institutions made, they were not sufficiently geared to meet the challenge of building a capable and developmental state as envisaged in the National Development Plan. The National Development Plan identifies the need for a capable, developmental professional and responsive state of which the National School of Government is in support of: to professionalize the public service.
Work has already been done by the leadership in the following areas
- Visit to the Executive Leadership Academy (CELAP) in China to learn from their model
- Extensive primary and secondary research
- Determination of the total capacity of government - infrastructure, staffing, budgets and coverage
- Development of a high level strategy and implementation plan
- Costing model to facilitate decision making on scope and scale
- Extensive consultation with stakeholders
Programmes and courses to be rolled out by NSG
- The first programme of the NSG will be a Government Leadership Programme. It is a programme for political and administrative leadership from all three spheres of government.
- Compulsory Induction Programme for all new employees. This will ensure that new employees are thoroughly oriented to the public sector and to their respective job responsibilities.
- In-service learning and development programmes. The NSG will ensure that public servants routinely have access to effective, high quality learning and development, making an impact on public sector performance and service delivery that is monitored and evaluated.
- Other courses will cover features of Strategy, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, problem solving and analysis, financial management and budgeting, human resource development and communication.
Government Leadership Summit
All heads of departments are called to enrol for the Government Leadership Programme, which will take place at CSIR in Pretoria on the 10-12 December 2013.
For more information please contact our call centre on 012 441 6777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All heads of departments are called to enrol for the Government Leadership Programme, which will take place at CSIR on the 10-12 December 2013.View documents